Keep These Household Chemicals Away from your Pet

Household chemicals safety goes beyond you and your family; they can also cause harm to your four-legged pet friend. That’s right; your everyday chemical products like windshield cleaners, window cleaners, detergents, and so forth can pose a serious threat to the health of your dog or cat.

We’ve compiled a list of these pet-unsafe household chemical products.


Organophosphates are almost synonymous with pest and insect control. In fact, it’s the primary chemical found in flea collars. When ingested by your pet, it can cause an array of symptoms, including depression, weakness, muscle tremors, and sometimes seizures. If you see anything labeled Disulfoton, Rabon or Chlorpyrifos, keep it as far as possible from your pet-friend.


Permethrin is an everyday chemical approved by the FDA for controlling large flies and fleas. It can also be found in most dips, shampoos, spot-on treatments, foggers, and a series of animal sprays. Symptoms of exposure to permethrin in dogs and cats include seizures, muscle tremors, excessive salivation, anorexia, and even death. Exercise great caution when applying spot-on treatments and sprays to your pets.

Ethylene Glycol

Popularly known as Antifreeze, exposure to Ethylene Glycol is known to cause adverse effects on pets. Unfortunately, dogs and cats are typically attracted to the sweet taste and smell of antifreeze. Symptoms of ingestion include depression, vomiting, weakness, rapid and short breaths. Store Ethylene Glycol away from your pets. Any signs of ingestion should prompt an immediate visit to a vet.

Household Glues

Certain types of everyday glues such as super glue or Gorilla Glue can be quite harmful if ingested by your pets. Once in the gut, it rapidly expands causing lots of discomfort. In fact, just an ounce of this glue can turn into a basketball-sized lump when ingested. That being said, keep your pet-friends away from you when working with glues. Store them in high lock-safe cabinets.

Important Tips when Dealing with Pet-Unsafe Household Chemicals

The general rule of thumb when handling any household chemical products around your four-legged friend is to seek advice from a veterinary expert when you are unsure. This goes for products you may want to use around or on your pets. It also pays to take simple safety precautions such as:

  • Store chemicals that are dangerous to pets (or household chemical products, in general) in secure cabinets. Make sure they are kept in their original containers with clearly labeled instructions.
  • If you suspect your pet has ingested or inhaled any of these household chemicals, consult a vet immediately.