Keep These Household Chemicals Away from your Pet

Household chemicals safety goes beyond you and your family; they can also cause harm to your four-legged pet friend. That’s right; your everyday chemical products like windshield cleaners, window cleaners, detergents, and so forth can pose a serious threat to the health of your dog or cat.

We’ve compiled a list of these pet-unsafe household chemical products.

Organophosphates

Organophosphates are almost synonymous with pest and insect control. In fact, it’s the primary chemical found in flea collars. When ingested by your pet, it can cause an array of symptoms, including depression, weakness, muscle tremors, and sometimes seizures. If you see anything labeled Disulfoton, Rabon or Chlorpyrifos, keep it as far as possible from your pet-friend.

Permethrin

Permethrin is an everyday chemical approved by the FDA for controlling large flies and fleas. It can also be found in most dips, shampoos, spot-on treatments, foggers, and a series of animal sprays. Symptoms of exposure to permethrin in dogs and cats include seizures, muscle tremors, excessive salivation, anorexia, and even death. Exercise great caution when applying spot-on treatments and sprays to your pets.

Ethylene Glycol

Popularly known as Antifreeze, exposure to Ethylene Glycol is known to cause adverse effects on pets. Unfortunately, dogs and cats are typically attracted to the sweet taste and smell of antifreeze. Symptoms of ingestion include depression, vomiting, weakness, rapid and short breaths. Store Ethylene Glycol away from your pets. Any signs of ingestion should prompt an immediate visit to a vet.

Household Glues

Certain types of everyday glues such as super glue or Gorilla Glue can be quite harmful if ingested by your pets. Once in the gut, it rapidly expands causing lots of discomfort. In fact, just an ounce of this glue can turn into a basketball-sized lump when ingested. That being said, keep your pet-friends away from you when working with glues. Store them in high lock-safe cabinets.

Important Tips when Dealing with Pet-Unsafe Household Chemicals

The general rule of thumb when handling any household chemical products around your four-legged friend is to seek advice from a veterinary expert when you are unsure. This goes for products you may want to use around or on your pets. It also pays to take simple safety precautions such as:

  • Store chemicals that are dangerous to pets (or household chemical products, in general) in secure cabinets. Make sure they are kept in their original containers with clearly labeled instructions.
  • If you suspect your pet has ingested or inhaled any of these household chemicals, consult a vet immediately.

Keep your household safe from household chemicals

Did you know that there are over a dozen household chemicals at home including polish, hair conditioners, polish, paint thinner, bleach and of course the detergent among others. If these chemicals are not well handled they put you and the family at a danger of fire, skin burns and poisoning. The danger is increased by the presence of children and pets in the house. Children are attracted by the attractive packaging and may ingest the chemicals. Pets, on the other hand, may open or tear away the packaging spill the contents if not ingest some of it.

It is important that you take the necessary precautions to ensure that the household chemicals are out of each of the children and do not come near your food products. Here are some tips to keep in mind.

Always read the label before using the chemicals

It may seem obvious, but most people do not read the use instructions. They end up injuring themselves or using wrong qualities. Always read the label before using or storing the chemicals. Moreover, learn the meanings of different symbols used to determine the class of the chemicals.

Never mix any chemicals. Some of them may react with each other and cause an explosion. Others give off poisonous fumes. When working with the chemicals around children always close the cap even if putting it down for a few moment, In addition, have the emergency numbers programmed into a speed dial so that you can seek assistance should children mess with any of the chemicals.

In case of accidental ingestion, follow the procedure outlined in the label. Seek medical attention even in the case where the patient feels that he or she is okay.

Cleaning after chemicals

Always use the recommended protective gear such as the boots, goggles, overalls and gloves. Take them out for cleaning after using the chemicals for use the next time. In case of a spill, clean the surface according to the type of chemical. However, always wear protective rubber gloves before working on the gloves.

For flammable liquids, ensure that you do not light and equipment that may produce a spark and start a fire. Open the windows to let some fresh air in and lower its concentration in the indoor environment.

Just like other liquid spills, you can use towels to absorb the excess liquid. You can scoop the powder spills and then vacuum the spot.